Seafood is versatile and possible to enjoy in all forms from sweet savouries to on the grill, salads to one-pan meals. Shrimps and prawns are an all-time favourite and you can never go wrong with them so long as you’ve sourced them from the best shrimp and prawn providers.
Cajun Shrimp is one such dish that’s loaded with the goodness of protein and minerals that they offer as well as veggies that are added to it. You can, in fact, opt for any stir-fry vegetable instead of the conventional onion, garlic, and bell pepper combination.
With the spicy mix sticking to the outer crust of the shrimps, you’ll love to savour its flavour. The best part of it all is that you have the options to grill, bake or even cook on your stovetop with very little time involved.
The trick to cooking the perfect Cajun shrimps is to heat the pan or skillet to a high temperature until its steaming hot. Don’t overcrowd the pan with too many shrimps, rather cook them in batches for the perfect taste. Since prawns and shrimps cook quickly, it’ll take you about 2-3 minutes to cook each side, keeping your overall cook time well in control. The outer coat of the shrimps should slightly char without turning the inner flesh rubbery. In fact, the shrimps will continue to cook on the heat of the pan even when you’ve removed it from direct heat.
- 1-pound or about 450 grams of shelled and deveined shrimps.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- 2 teaspoons of paprika.
- 1 clove of garlic crushed; you can also use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder instead.
- ½ a teaspoon of onion powder.
- ½ a teaspoon dried and ground thyme.
- ¼th teaspoon of dried basil leaves or oregano.
- ½ a teaspoon of normal salt.
- ¼th teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- ¼th teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Take a medium-sized bowl and place the shrimps in it.
- Mix all the spices and the oil with the shrimps.
- Cover tightly the bowl and refrigerate the mix for 24 hours.
- Take a large skillet or heavy-duty non-stick pan and heat for 2 minutes until hot.
- Now, coat the pan with a drizzle of oil and let it heat for 1 minute.
- Place the shrimps in the pan without overcrowding it.
- Cook one side for 2-3 minutes until slightly charred and turn them over to the other side to get fried. (The slight charring should indicate that the shrimps have got well-cooked and are ready to eat).
- Repeat process till all shrimps is cooked.
- Serve with salads, like tacos, burritos or even with rice and enjoy.