Biryani is a delicacy that is loved by everyone. Whether you’re from the north or south, Biryani has taken up its space in your cuisine. It can be prepared with either chicken, meat, prawns, fish, or even with vegetables. The type and preparation for Biryani vary from region to region. Here we will make Prawn/Shrimp Biryani with the best quality Prawns and Shrimps that will make your dish even tastier.
Two ingredients are a must in the Prawn Biryani. First, the Basmati rice, as you cannot make Biryani without rice. The next is the prawns, or rather the best quality of them from the market. Prawns are marinated with spices and caramelized onions which adds a lovely flavor to the prawns. Unlike any other Biryani, this particular dish also has layers. People also add saffron milk, as it provides both color and test. If you want to make it for yourself, try this recipe. It’s healthy and can be eaten at both lunch or dinner as it’s light and tasty.
For biryani masala
- 1 tablespoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
- 5 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 5 Clove powder (Laung)
- 4 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- Oil, as required
- 2 Onions, finely sliced
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 4 cloves (Laung)
- 3 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Star anise
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1-1/2 cups Prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tablespoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Curd (Dahi / Yogurt)
- 1 cup Mint Leaves (Pudina), chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Add 2 teaspoons of biryani masala which you have made.
- The ratio of meat and yogurt should be 1(meat): 3/4(yogurt).
- Be sure to grind the spices well as it adds taste to the Biryani. The correct ratio of spices and proper mixing ensures a tasty dish.
- Add only 1 tsp of Biryani masala, the marinade.
- The marinade is now ready to be used for Biryani.
- Only use the required quantity for your mix. Store the leftover masala for future use.
- If you don’t want to add ghee to the marinade, you may not. But I suggest adding 1 tbsp to 2 tbsp. ghee/clarified butter to the marinade as it makes a lot of difference and enhances the taste of the Biryani.
- If you are using frozen prawns, defrost them properly before marinating.
- Cooking time may differ because different people prepare the marinade in different ways. The cooking pot is also crucial for making any biryani. Be sure to use a heavy-bottomed pan.
- After cooking, garnish and serve. It is best enjoyed hot.
The ingredients used also vary according to the culture and people. Biryanis can be prepared spicy in Hyderabadi style or can be made sweet like Kashmiri ones. If you want to make prawn Biryani, acquire prawn from Processor & Exporter of Seafood in India. You can get prawns from the best Shrimp Exporters or prawn exporters.