Simple and delicious is the definition that goes with this coastal dish of seafood from Maryland. This dish requires significantly less time, saving your precious time but not without a savory twist. The tangy twist that the Old Bay seasoning presents makes this seafood dish different from the other preparations shrimp or prawn. The old bay spice mix is a regional favorite along the coastal lines of Maryland and Virginia. If you belong to these and lands, then a quick meal will satisfy your existential taste buds. If you are from other parts of the world, simply try this dish. Gorge on the exquisites of a faraway land that tastes seas and all the goodness of sunshine.
Preparation time– total 15 mins
Cooking time – 3 to 4 mins
Serves – for 4 to 6 adults
Know your ingredients
Ingredients to prepare the Maryland shrimp dish:
- Old Bay seasoning – 2 tbsp and more if required.
- Shrimp (or prawn) – 1 lb large, cleaned, peeled, and deveined.
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Chili powder – 2 teaspoons
- Worcestershire sauce – 4 teaspoons
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Black pepper – freshly ground and as per taste
Know the Preparation Process:
- Take a large bowl and place the shrimps (or prawns, if you like) in it.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl, including Old Bay, olive oil, garlic, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice.
- Season it with salt and freshly ground pepper. Do the seasoning generously so that each shrimp gets its fair share of soaking up in the seasoning. That way, each individual shrimp will taste at its best.
- Toss the whole mixture well to ensure that the shrimps absorb the oil and spices.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes or longer if you want them for better marinating. In that case, put the mixture in a covered container and put it aside in a refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Prepare your grill. You can use gas or charcoal according to your convenience. Set it on medium-high heat to cook the shrimps in controlled heat.
- Now that your grill is ready, take out the shrimps and put them on skewers. Place the skewers with the shrimps on the grill and let them cook for few minutes. Do not keep them for a more extended period on the grill as they cook very quickly.
- As soon as they start curling up and start turning pink, flip them and cook for a minute longer. The total cooking must not be more than 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot, maybe with grilled bread or other grilled dishes like steak if you desire. Or, just eat them without the intervention of other dishes and enjoy them at their best.