If you are planning for a cocktail party or a family gathering, then guess we have the most perfect preparation brought for you. This Southern-style Pickled Shrimp is such an easy and lip smacking appetizer that the guests would run into the kitchen to drool over it.
You can keep it packed in a jar and simply eat out of it, or you can serve it on a plate over greens or toss into some salad and add onto some creamy pasta as well. As we know, pickles are supposed to be stored for a period of time before they are consumed, similarly this preparation also requires the shrimps to be soaked in the pickle for a few days for it to become more flavourful. The use of dill leaves enhances the flavour even more since dill is an extremely fragrant herb. Since the base of the preparation calls for shrimp, you ought to get it from the Top Exporters of Shrimp in India.
Ingredients Required :
(For 12 Servings) (Preparation Time: 20 mins)
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ tbsp crushed black pepper
- A dash of tobasco sauce
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme and dill
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp of capers and their juices
- Firstly, take a stockpot and fill it up with water. Add half the red onions, half the lemon slices, garlic, celery pieces and a large pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now put it over flame and bring it to a boil, cover and reduce the heat, then keep it on simmering for about 5 minutes.
- As the flavours start evolving, add the shrimp.
- Immediately, remove the pot from stove and cover it for sometime(2-3 minutes), the shrimps have now turned pinkish and are good to go in the stomach.
- Drain out the water and take out the shrimps separately and hold them under cold water, to stop them from getting overcooked.
- Take a large sized jar and keep layering with cooked shrimps, remaining red onion slices, lemon slices, capers and their juices, fresh dill and thyme leaves, granulated sugar, a pinch salt and black pepper and dash of tobacco sauce from the top.
- Combine the cider vinegar and olive oil separately in a measuring cup and pour from above to cover the shrimps completely. Put on the lid.
- After covering the jar of pickle properly, keep it inside a refrigerator to cure for up to 2-3 days.
- Carefully, spoon the mixture and serve it according to your own choice.
A very simple and delicious appetizer which is also visually appealing has been brought to excite your taste buds. Local markets are not always reliable for the best quality of fish, however you need not worry because you can get a taste of the ocean sitting at your home with the best quality of prawns and shrimps from the Top Processors and Exporters of Seafood in India.