Shrimp with Spicy Green Rice is a Southeast Asian dish, inspired by Venetian Risi e Bisi—soupy Italian rice with peas. This soup plate is a fantastic prawn version, which highlights sweet, crunchy sugar snap peas with flavorsome Southeast Asian ingredients tossed with chilies and ginger. The freshness of basil and cilantro make the bowl more finger-licking, and the salt depth fish sauce makes it scrumptious.
This soup dish is reminiscent of Khao Tom, Thai rice with meat or seafood, served with steam rice cooked in a broth.
Now let us look at how the dish has been processed and can quickly be cooked in our sweet home.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 21 minutes
Total time required: 41 minutes
15 ingredients that we need:
- 1 LB large shrimp or prawn
- 1 cup of packed tender fresh Basil leaves
- 1 cup of packed fresh leaves of Cilantro
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 3-tablespoon freshly minced ginger (the piece should be of 4-inch)
- 4 OZ of Sugar snap peas
- 1 or 2 Thai Chilies or Serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 large or 2 small leeks, thinly sliced and nicely washed (2 cups)
- 1 lime, wedges (this is optional and used for serving a purpose)
- 2-tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼th cup of vegetable oil
- 3 cups of chicken broth, homemade or low- sodium store-bought
- ½ cup of long-grain white rice (preferably Thai jasmine rice)
- Kosher Salt
How to make it:
Step 1: Now, the first step involves the following essential steps:
- Now, put the cloves of garlic through the feed tube of a food processor. Now turn on the food processor and process it into finely chopped pieces.
- Onto the finely chopped pieces of garlic add 2 tablespoons of ginger, chile, basil, cilantro, fish sauce, and sugar. Now process them finely.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 3 tablespoons of water to process it into a fine paste. (Note: the paste should be of 2/3th of a cup)
- Set it aside.
Step 2: Now let’s start with the 2nd step:
- Take a pot without a lid. On a medium-high flame, heat the pot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Add leek along with the remaining 1 tablespoon of ginger. Let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes until it turns to translucent.
- Stir in the ½ cup of long grain rice and broth along with a cup of water.
- Let it boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pot with the lid and let the rice simmer for 17-18 minutes until it becomes very soft.
- The texture of the food will be soupy.
Step 3: Now, let’s begin with the final stage of the recipe:
- Add the shrimp or the prawn, simmer it and stir it once or twice for 1 or 2 minutes until it turns pink.
- Stir in the Sugar snap peas and add 2 tablespoons of the herb paste.
- Taste the seasoning once and let it heat. Add more sauce or the herb paste if required (as per your taste). Season it with salt as per requirement.
- Remove the heat.
- Serve it with cilantro, basil, and lime wedges along with the left out herb sauce.
Well, Shrimp with Spicy Green Rice is ready to eat now.
Now you know how to make this delicious dish at home. So get some quality shrimps and prawn from the best Shrimp Provider. Get your delicious and healthy dish ready for your meal.