For a cool, fresh, and least time-consuming party dish, Shrimp Ceviche is appropriate. This seafood may be considered as great appetizer takes 30 minutes to be prepared. The main ingredient of this seafood is shrimp. It is a healthy main course that everybody is very fond of.
The Quirky History of Shrimp Ceviche
The modern 21st century’s favorite appetizer, Ceviche, is an old dish from South America. It is protein-rich seafood originated particularly from Peru (some say Ecuador) prepared in a centuries-old method of cooking by contact with the acidic juice of citrus instead of heat.
In the late 1980’s South Florida’s “New World Cuisine” puts its appearance from the versatile cooking styles and tropical ingredients of the Caribbean, Latin America, Central, and South America. They got fascinated by the tempting flavors of tropical fruits and vegetables. From this fascination, diverse versions of Ceviche were developed.
In Peru, it is accompanied by slices of cold sweet potatoes or corn on the cob. In Ecuador, it is served with popcorn, nuts, or corn nuts, whereas in Mexico is served with slices of raw onions and served on toasted tortillas.
Let us see how to prepare finger-licking shrimp Ceviche.
Know the Ingredients, first, before you prepare Ceviche
- 1 pound medium-small shrimp peeled and deveined.
- 3/4 cup lime juice (4-6 limes should be enough).
- ¾ cup lemon juice (juice from 2-3 lemons).
- 1cup finely chopped red onion.
- 1 Serrano Chile, the ribs and seeds should be removed and minced.
- 1 cup chopped cilantro.
- 1 cucumber, peeled diced into ½ -inch pieces.
Here is the method for you
- Boil the shrimp: In a large pot, pour boiled 2 quarters of water, salted with 1 tablespoons salt. Boil the shrimp for 1-2 minutes max. (Over boiling would turn it rubbery).
- Remove shrimps with a slotted spoon into a bowl of ice water.
- Cut up shrimp, mix with lime and lemon juice: Drain the shrimp .cut each piece of shrimp in half, or into inch -long pieces.
- Put the shrimp in a glass or ceramic bowl. Mix in the lime and lemon juice and cover the mixture up. Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Right before serving, add the cilantro, cucumber, and avocado and sliced red onion.
Now the delicious, fresh, and cool Shrimp ceviche is ready to serve. Spoon in the Ceviche and garnish it with one or more colorful ingredients like thin rings of red onion, one-quarter of an avocado sliced and fanned, assorted bell peppers finely diced, this mouth-watering recipe can be quite excellent while served on a platter. Remember to buy your shrimp from the best shrimp providers in the market.