For those who have never been to New Orleans, a shrimp Gumbo is like a free plane ticket to the place. It is a staple food of that region, it’s rich and spicy taste is its signature. Make sure to cook slowly as it truly enhances the flavor. You can get the shrimp from the Best Shrimp Providers. The seafood recipe is not very difficult to make but requires a lot of patience. So be sure to take your time!
What Ingredients do you need?
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gumbo file powder
- Hot cooked rice
Know the Cooking Process
- In an oven, cook and stir flour and oil in medium heat, until they turn into a caramel-colored roux. Usually, it takes up to about 12 minutes but makes sure it does not burn. This is the most important part of the recipe.
- To the mixture, add the celery, green pepper, and onion and cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until tender. To the broth, add garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne and bring to a boil.
- Now, reduce the heat and cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Now, add the shrimp, okra, green onions, and tomato and let it boil.
- Reduce the heat and put a cover and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink.
- Now stir in file powder to thicken the broth. If you do not have gumbo file powder, you can use an alternate recipe – combine 2 tablespoons each of corn-starch and water, and stir until it becomes smooth. Keep stirring it into gumbo. Bring it to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Now, serve it with rice soaked in the hot curry or with a side of potato salad, garlic bread, or plain sliced French bread.
So, what are you thinking about now? If you are getting bored in this lockdown period then this is the apt recipe to reboot your mood. Just cook it and give the most delicious surprise to your family. For the best result get in touch with the best prawn and shrimp providers and don’t just eat tasty food but make sure it is healthy as well.