Romesco sauce is required to make the Catalan Shrimp Stew. It is a rust-colored sauce from the Catalan region of Spain, served with grilled fish or, as a dip for vegetables. It is delicious, colorful, and resembles a reddish mayonnaise. Made from dried red bell peppers, roasted almonds and hazelnuts, garlic, and a part of day-old bread fried in olive oil and then mixed together in a grinder with a sprinkle of olive oil.
But these ingredients can also be used for making the base of a rich shrimp stew, seafood, called romesco de peix, or simply romescada, the Catalan shrimp stew. In this case, tomato puree is added to increase the fresh flavor. You can get the shrimp from the best shrimp providers in your region.
While fishes like sea bass, monkfish, clams, or salt cod, can be used for making the stew, usually shrimp or lobster is the most used ingredient for this dish. The rest of the ingredients can also vary depending on the fish of choice.
Know the Ingredients to Prepare Catalan Shrimp Stew
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 1 small carrot (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 small onion
- 1 stick celery
- 1 dried Nora pepper or ancho pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 cloves of large garlic
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes (approx. 180ml) (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup white wine (approx. 120ml)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Spanish paprika (sweet)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste/puree
- 1 1/2 cups fish stock (360-480ml)
- 3 tbsp ground almonds
- 3 tbsp ground hazelnuts
- 1 lb clams
- 3/4 lb monkfish
- 1 handful fresh chopped parsley
How do you Cook Catalan Shrimp Stew?
- To make the stock, de-shell the shrimps and put them in a pan with the onion, carrot, and celery. Pour around 3-4cups of water. After bringing to a boil, reduce the heat, so it simmers, and cook for around 20-30min.
- Meanwhile, break the dried pepper open and remove the seeds. Put it in a small bowl and let it boil. Cover it and let it soak for around 10 minutes.
- Chop the onion and garlic and slice the red pepper into strips.
- Dice the monkfish and peel away skin like outer layers.
- Warm oil in a pan for 10 minutes and then add onion, garlic, red pepper, chopped dried pepper, fennel seeds, and thyme and allow it to stand for 5 minutes. Now add the tomatoes, wine, bay leaf, paprika saffron, and tomato paste and stir till it gains a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Add 2 cups of the prepared stock and bring to a simmer. Now, cook the whole dish for around 10-15min till the point when it reduces in volume a little.
- Now add the almond and hazelnut (already ground) and stir well to give the sauce a rich, creamy texture.
- Add the clams to the sauce and let it sit. After they have started to open, add the monkfish along with the shrimp. Mix them with the sauce thoroughly and cover with the lid again.
Once the fish has been cooked, serve hot with a dash of parsley or paprika. However, the most important thing to remember before going ahead with the ingredients please procure fresh and juicy shrimps from the best shrimp and prawn providers.