Pastel is a popular and traditional Brazilian dish. This evening snack can be found anywhere in Brazil. With summer fast approaching, the long summer nights make the shrimp pastel an excellent snacking option. Healthy and low in calories, this is an ideal evening snack to enjoy.
Traditionally, they are half-circle or rectangle-shaped thin-crust pies. The pies have assorted fillings within it, which are then fried in vegetable oil. They are deep-fried and served with dips or ketchup. And if you enjoy seafood, especially shrimp or prawn, you will enjoy this very much.
If you don’t want to go out and want to enjoy this dish from the comfort of your home, we’ve got you covered. India has some of the best Shrimp and Prawn Providers you can depend on.
Now, let’s see how we can make shrimp pastel at home:
What Ingredients Will You Use?
For the Filling
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 300 g tiger shrimp, shell and tail off, deveined
- 1 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 100 g Mozzarella, grated
- 300 mL 35% cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Dough
- 3-4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 15 g salt or as per taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 250 – 300 mL of water
Procedure of preparation
Know how to prepare the filling:
- Sauté garlic and onion in olive oil, to it, add the shrimp already cut in smaller pieces.
- To this mixture, add tomato sauce. Let it cook for some time and then remove it from the heat.
- In another pan, add 35% cream. Stir it for some time so that it gets reduced to 50 ml. Now, add this reduced cream to the shrimp mixture and stir.
- Add previously chopped parsley to this mixture. Add proper amounts of salt and pepper according to taste.
- To this, add grated mozzarella cheese to bring in rich flavor and texture. Allow it to cool down.
To prepare the pastel
- Take necessary amounts of dough and olive oil and mix it with hand.
- Press the dough on a flat surface or use a rolling pin to shape the dough to a desired thickness (preferably thin).
- Now, cut the dough in rectangle shapes. After putting some of the fillings in the center of the rectangular dough, cut it in half. You can brush little amounts of water or olive oil on the sides of the pastel to help it close properly.
- You can also use a fork to press the sides slightly, so the borders are sealed.
- Now, deep fry in hot oil until they turn golden brown.
So, what are you waiting for? Get the best quality shrimps from the best Shrimp and Prawn Providers, and start preparing this delicious dish. Put in your preferred garnishing and enjoy it with a classic dip or ketchup.