Looking to jazz up your nutritional uptake in an interesting way? Well, what’s better than seafood when it comes to consuming the right amount of proteins and essential minerals with the least amount of carbohydrate?
Yes, we’re talking about shrimps and prawns!
Consider the quality shrimps coming from one of the tops of the best shrimp and prawn providers. Any such medium-sized shrimp gives about 7 calories! This would mean that even if you were to consume about a dozen of them, your calorie intake would be limited to 85! That would ideally be even 15 calories less than that of your intake from a 3-ounce or approximately 85 grams of chicken breast.
A typical jumbo shrimp, the types that are usually served for cocktails, contain about 14 calories. Add in another 5 calories for the cocktail sauce and you have 19 calories. So, a teaspoon of the sauce and 3 jumbo shrimps give you less than 60 calories!
If you’re impressed already, we’ve for you the recipe of a yum prawn treat that you’ll surely love to delve in any time of the day. Here’s what you need to make some scrumptious Corn Cakes with Soy Sauce!
Total time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 29 minutes
Cooking time: 1 minute
Final serving ingredients
- ½ a cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- ½ a teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ a teaspoon of hot pepper sauce to taste which is optional
- 1/8th teaspoon of pepper
Mix all 7 ingredients in a bowl, chill in refrigerator till serving time.
Ingredients for the cakes:
- ½ a pound of uncooked peeled and deveined shrimp, finely chopped.
- ½ a cup of chopped onion (one small-sized).
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced.
- 1¼ tablespoons of oil for frying.
- ¼ teaspoon of cooking salt.
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour.
- ¼ cup of cornmeal.
- 1 cup of whole kernel corn.
- 1 cup of cream-style corn.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten.
- 1 tablespoon of corn-starch.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Take a large and heavy skillet and add place it over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil in it.
- Once heated, add onion and cook for 1 minute until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add chopped shrimps and cook till they turn pink. Turn off flame and remove the mix.
- Take a large mixing bowl. Place flour, corn-starch, cornmeal, and baking powder. Mix, add the salt and pepper and mix again.
- Take a small bowl and mix the egg, shrimp, and corn together stirring them till all the dry ingredients are well coated with the egg.
- Clean skillet with a paper towel and heat the remaining ¼th tablespoon of oil in it until smoking hot.
- Drop the egg-corn-prawn mix in it in batches in rounded shapes.
- Fry till golden brown on one side, turn and fry the other side till golden brown too.
- Drain oil on the paper towel and serve hot with the refrigerated sauce.
Calorie count: 1 corn-shrimp cake with 1 teaspoon of sauce contains 109 calories with 7g of fat, 22 mg of cholesterol, 8g of carbohydrate and 3 g of protein.