Szechuan Shrimp is an all-time classic Chinese recipe that is quite popular everywhere in the world. The recipe is tangy and spicy and comprises strong flavours on the top tender shrimp. As we already said about a lot of flavours, let us check out the ingredients needed for Szechuan Shrimp.
- 1-pound shrimp (450g, size 50/60, peeled and deveined)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (plus 2 tablespoons, divided)
- ½ teaspoon corn-starch
- ½ teaspoon ginger (minced)
2 teaspoons doubanjiang (chili bean sauce) or chili oil (NOTE: the chili oil should have flakes in it)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup shallots or red onion (minced)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- ¼ cup water chestnuts (chopped, optional)
- 1 medium carrot (very finely chopped)
- ½ red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 cup chicken stock (120 ml)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn-starch (mixed with 2 tablespoons of water)
- 1 scallion (chopped)
Let us now check out the instructions to cook Szechuan Shrimp
Directions to Cook Delicious Szechuan Shrimp
- Take 1 teaspoon of oil and mix the shrimp together and take ½ teaspoon of corn-starch and coat the shrimp evenly from all sides.
- On medium heat, take the leftover teaspoon of oil and add in the wok. The next step is to add ginger and sauté it for 30 sec. Now, add the Jiang or popularly known as hot chili oil, shallots, garlic and continue to stir fry for the next 2 mins.
- Now, take the ketchup along with the hoisin sauce and heat it on a low flame gradually taking it to medium. It will cook for about 2 mins bringing aroma and flavour. Very soon lower heat to avoid burning.
- The next step is to add Shaoxing wine, red bell pepper, and water chestnuts and sauté it for 2 minutes. It’s time to add chicken stock and boil the mix.
- Now, lower the heat and add rice vinegar, sugar, salt, and white pepper, continue stirring for the next 3 minutes. After that, increase the heat and sauté the shrimp.
- Once sauce and shrimp mixture becomes steady, lower heat and add corn-starch until the sauce becomes thick. You must observe that the shrimp has become opaque and is well cooked, add scallions and serve with a garnish plate of steaming rice.
Here you go, your Szechuan shrimp is ready. It is a perfect weekend dinner when it comes to eating with family and loved ones. It is important to remember that quality dishes come from quality products from the leading shrimp and prawn exporters. Buy good products to make sure your recipes taste the best.